Devastating Fire in Iraq’s Al-Kut Mall Claims More Than 60 Lives

Devastating Fire in Iraq's Al-Kut Mall Claims More Than 60 Lives

A devastating fire broke out late Wednesday night at a shopping mall in Al-Kut, eastern Iraq, killing at least 60 people and leaving dozens more injured or missing. The incident occurred in the newly opened Hyper Mall, which had only been operating for five days. Videos circulating online showed massive flames and plumes of smoke pouring out of the five-story structure as firefighters battled through the night.

Authorities confirmed that 59 victims had been identified, with one body so badly burned it remained unrecognizable. Eleven individuals are still missing, presumed trapped under the debris.

Flames and Panic

Witnesses said the fire started on the first floor and quickly spread throughout the building. Some reports suggest an air conditioning unit may have exploded, but the official cause remains unknown. Wasit province governor Mohammed Al-Miyahi stated that preliminary results from the investigation would be shared within the next 48 hours.

Emergency personnel rushed to the scene, but the intensity and extent of the blaze left no time for rescue. Medical facilities struggled to cope with the influx of victims, many of whom were severely burned or had inhaled toxic smoke. Relatives of the disappeared huddled outside, eagerly praying for news. Social media clips depicted people weeping, crumbling in despair, and rushing to locate loved ones.

Survivors’ Accounts

Devastating Fire in Iraq's Al-Kut Mall Claims More Than 60 Lives

Nasir Al-Quraishi, a resident physician, suffered personally with five family members dying in the fire. “We had gone to the mall for dinner to avoid the frequent power outages,” he recounted. “Out of nowhere, an air conditioner blew up, and the flames spread rapidly. There was no way out.”

Many survivors shared the same horrors: chaos, obstructed exits, a lack of fire alarms or sprinklers, and suffocating smoke. Survivors said the mall had no visible emergency instructions or safety drills in place. Many believe the death toll could have been lower had basic safety protocols been followed.

Lawsuits and Mourning

Governor Al-Miyahi declared three days of mourning and announced that legal action had been taken against the mall’s owner and the construction contractor. “This is a tragedy for all of us,” he said. “We will investigate thoroughly. Those responsible will face consequences.”

The fire has been contained, but search and recovery operations continue. Firefighters are still combing through debris, looking for victims or possible survivors. The authorities have not eliminated the possibility of other casualties since the site is completely cleared.

A History of Negligence

This is not Iraq’s first big fire in recent history. A devastating wedding hall fire in September 2023 claimed the lives of more than 100, while a fire in a COVID-19 ward in July 2021 caused over 60 fatalities. In both cases, investigations blamed inadequate construction, lack of safety features, and negligence as the reasons.

Specialists argue that construction codes in Iraq are often outdated or irrelevant. Numerous public structures are constructed with no compliance with international fire safety standards. Corruption, non-enforcement, and lack of proper inspections also lead to recurrent tragedies.

Deadly Heat, Failing Infrastructure

Devastating Fire in Iraq's Al-Kut Mall Claims More Than 60 Lives

Iraqi summers are notoriously hostile, and the temperature can rise to 50°C (122°F). Air conditioning systems run continuously, and poor wiring or jammed circuits become the standard. Added to this is negligence, and these conditions cause crowded spots like malls to become fire hazards.

Individuals scramble to malls in the night to get away from heat and power outages indoors. That same urge brought many to the Hyper Mall on Wednesday evening, a move that eventually claimed dozens of their lives. As one survivor said, “We just wanted some cool air and a meal. It turned into a nightmare.”

Families Devastated

Hospitals and morgues in Al-Kut are struggling to handle the aftermath. Emotional scenes outside the hospital showed families breaking down, shouting names, and pleading for information. “Oh, my father, oh, my heart,” cried one man as he sat by the entrance, waiting for news.

Many bodies were charred beyond recognition. Officials have appealed for DNA samples to assist with identification. Local charities and volunteers are supporting affected families, offering medical aid, transportation, and burial assistance.

A Turning Point

As Iraq mourns the lives lost in the Al-Kut blaze, troubling questions continue to emerge, demanding answers. How could a newly opened mall open without minimal safety inspections? Why were the emergency exits inoperable? Why wasn’t an alarm triggered?

Governor Miyagi has promised a “serious review of all safety measures,” but promises have been broken before. Until the regulations are enforced and public safety comes first, many believe that another catastrophe is just around the corner.

In the meantime, efforts continue to assist victims, restore families, and identify the deceased. But beyond that, Iraq has a challenge that runs deeper: making sure lives lost in this tragedy were not wasted.

0
Show Comments (0) Hide Comments (0)
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments